eHealthForum

yellow stool this is causing so much worry

05-04-2014

Please help I have has diarrhea in the past over the years on and off after eating I never seen a dr for it but recently this is what I have experienced and I am worried . The diarrhea came on quick and it was yellow and watery and would not stop I was experiencing Lower abdomen pains and my upper abdomen was making lots of noises like gurgling after eating , ct ok blood work ok prescribed xifaxan for bacterial over growth . 2 days later stool sample came back then told positive for h pylori stool and when xifaxan Is done to take pylera and omeprazole for 10 days . Haven't started 2nd meds yet diarrhea a little better but still yellow stools and at times still upper stomach noises and lower pain is this really the cause of the yellow stool this is causing so much worry and anxiety for me . Most information I get is from dr's assistant .does the h pylori cause the yellow stools and when will this stop what else could this be advice please help please I have had colonoscopy

Showing comment 1 to 15 from a total of 1 comments
Answered by:
Deepak Anvekar
05-04-2014

Welcome to e health forum.

H Pylori, infection alone cannot be explained for the symptoms you have been having for the past few years. H Pylori can be positive in many individuals, and they mainly result in acute Gastritis symptoms.

Based on the history and the description a definitive diagnosis cannot be done online.

In absence of major symptoms like fever, loss of weight, appetite, bloody stools, etc, your symptoms of nausea, stomach upset, abdominal cramps could be due to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

IBS is diagnosed by its signs and symptoms and by the absence of other diseases.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic functional disorder characterized by cramping abdominal pain or discomfort with alterations in bowel habits (bloating, constipation, and diarrhea). These symptoms usually are present for at least 12 weeks in a patient during the previous one year, and unfortunately the onset or subsidence cannot be predicted.

Pain that originates due to IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) is variable from day to day, hour to hour and sometimes moment to moment.
Two or more of the following must apply for pain to be identified as due to IBS.
1. Pain is relieved by a bowel movement
2. Onset of pain is related to a change in frequency of stool
3. Onset of pain is related to a change in the appearance of stool.

IBS does not cause any permanent damage or any serious illness but the symptoms cause severe discomfort & distress affecting an individuals work, ability to travel and attend social events.

Most symptoms of IBS can be controlled with diet, stress management, and prescribed medications (laxatives, antidiarrheals, antispasmodics, or antidepressants).

Medications like activated charcoal (Charcocaps, charcoal tablets) can help to reduce the symptoms of bloating, belching, etc

If the stool examination done , did not reveal any parasitic infection, or did not detect blood, etc , it would be a good indicator.

In case the colonoscopy, done is normal, then it is more likely that you do not have any serious medical condition, other than IBS.

You may consult with your doctor or a gastroenterologist, who can clear any remaining doubts and provide you a proper medical advice as well as prescribe any medications to treat the symptoms of Irritable bowel syndrome.

I hope this helps.

Post A Reply
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....