eHealthForum

Birth Control And Pmu

09-25-2007

Is premarin the only drug that has pregnant mare urine in it?

Showing comment 1 to 15 from a total of 15 comments
09-27-2007

Please don't reply unless it is relavent to my post.
Thanks

09-27-2007

I have never heard that. Frankly, I don't believe it. BCP's are made of synthetic hormones, not animal products.

Of course, I could be wrong. But it sounds a little fishy to me.

09-28-2007

What do you mean it sounds fishy? The collection of pregnant mare urine for woman hormone pills has been around for years.

09-28-2007

I know pregnant mare urine is in a menapause drug called premarin but i want to know if it's in any other drugs. Becuase if it is I'm not taking them.

09-28-2007

I've never heard of mare urine being in any common commercial hormone pills in America.

09-28-2007

Hormones sold in birth control pills and any other form in the US are made, to my knowledge, of synthetic (that means man-made) hormones. These are the ingredients in Premarin.

"Premarin contains a mixture of conjugated estrogens, which are a mixture of sodium estrone
sulfate and sodium equilin sulfate and other components including sodium sulfate conjugates,
17 a-dihydroequilin, 17 a-estradiol, and 17 b-dihydroequilin.
Premarin 0.3 mg, 0.45 mg, 0.625 mg, 0.9 mg, and 1.25 mg tablets also contain the following
inactive ingredients: calcium phosphate tribasic, hydroxypropyl cellulose, microcrystalline
cellulose, powdered cellulose, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate,
polyethylene glycol, sucrose and titanium dioxide."

These are the active and inactive ingredients. Now, frankly, I don't know what the scientific name of mare urine is, but I don't think it's in here.

You can look up the ingredients to any drug online.

09-28-2007

I take back what I said! the ingredient sodium equilin sulfate, I think, is actually derived from pregnant mare urine. I looked it up...

"As the name hints, Premarin is derived from pregnant mare's urine. In the 1920s, scientists discovered that estrogens could be extracted from the human placenta and umbilical cord and used therapeutically. Ayerst, McKenna & Harrison researchers and their academic colleagues in time developed a commercial product that was a mix of several estrogens derived from the urine of pregnant women. Company researchers later learned that the estrogens in the urine of pregnant horses were the same as or similar to human estrogens. Given that horses produce a lot more urine than people do, the end result was a process to extract estrogens from horse urine, which gave birth to Premarin as a new product."

Most don't though- if you look up the ingredients (usually it will say estradiol or something) and you don't see equilin, it doesn't have any in it.

So if you want to know just look at the ingredients. Or ask your doc.

Why does that bother you? It doesn't really bother me....

09-29-2007

Some people don't like the idea of ingesting something made from the pee of another animal.

09-29-2007

But it isn't actually the pee, it's just chemically derived from the pee. And I don't think any animal cruelty is involved, because it's not hard to get pee out of horses!! But oh well.

09-29-2007

I know! It's just the concept of ingesting something made from pee that is disgusting to some people.

09-29-2007

Ok, my entire life has been surrounded by horses. And it is quite a prodject to get pee out of horses. If you have been around race tracks you would know that but i doubt either of you have and maybe you should try looking up the pmu industry. oh and I don't really care if it bothers you, it bothers me.

09-30-2007

While that's fine. It's called equilin so you can look for it on other drugs.

05-02-2011

Getting pee for PMU is cruelty to the horse they breed a mare (female horse) and shove tubes in it to collect its pee. the mares are forced to stand on their feet all day. and they usually dont keep the babies they cut them out and throw them out to die. so dont say its easy to collect. how would you feel if they did that you to?

10-15-2017

It should bother anyone with a sense of decency and compassion. It is extremely cruel to horses and also hazardous to humans.
"While use of PMU in birth control pills faded with the introduction of soy-based hormonal drugs, the use of PMU in drugs meant to relieve menopause boomed as the post-World War II 'Baby Boom' generation reached middle age."

Post A Reply
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...