eHealthForum

Missed period after viral meningitis

09-01-2010

At the end of July I got Viral meningitis that completely tore me down. I was hospitalized for 5 days becasue I had stroke like symptoms one night which ended up being that it went into my brain. So, it took 2 weeks to really feel better. Aug. 5 is when I remember not needing a nap anymore. But now my problem is I haven\'t started my cycle. I know I CAN\'T be pregnant b/c I had my cycle right before I got sick, and hadn\'t been intimate with my husband while being sick. They did do a test in the hospital, and I have taken 2 at home...just in case==all negative. The last time we would\'ve even had been together with a chance to get pregnant was the middle of JUNE....like the 12th. A test would FOR SURE show up pos by now. I have 4 kids, I am used to them. SO, my q is can this awful virus and all the different meds I was on cause me to skip? Has this heppened to anyone else here??

Showing comment 1 to 15 from a total of 1 comments
Answered by:
Harpreet Singh
09-29-2010

Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the menstrual irreguralities after viral meningitis.
Stress as associated with the disease plus long list of medications can lead to menstrual irregularities. You have also made a mention of pregnancy test being negative. So you can be helped by 10 day or so intake of progesterone containing preparation followed by the withdrawl bleeding that will help in regularising your cycle plus the return of fertility can be helped by estrogen intake later so that endometrium is prepared and LH surge can be assured for the ovulation to occur and the fertility to return.You must consult your gynaecologist for the options and thorough assessment of your problem.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

Post A Reply
Must Read
Meningitis is contagious and can be life threatening. Get the basic facts on meningitis here....
What are the different types of meningitis and who do they affect? We answer this here....
Early signs and symptoms of meningitis can mimic the flu. Can you identify meningitis symptoms and know when to seek medical help?...