eHealthForum

Long-term effects of meningitis ?

06-19-2010

I just saw a neurologist who performed a complete exam. I have tingling and numbness sensations in my face and head, stabbing pains in my temples, tinnitus and have always had memory problems. These symptoms have been increasing in intensity over the past 3 years. They are made worse or better by the positioning of my neck. They are made much worse by riding in a vehicle over 40 mph. I had a severe case of meningitis at 9 mths old. The neurologist said that the symptoms are an after-effect of the meningitis. I just find it hard to believe that it would take 52 years for these abnormalities to develop. Could this be true??

Showing comment 1 to 15 from a total of 1 comments
Answered by:
Harpreet Singh
06-24-2010

Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the neuropathy in face with stabbing pains in temples, tinnitus and memory problems. You have made a mention of past history of viral meningitis at the age of 9 months with memory problems since childhood.
You have a strong family history of malignancy along with brain cancer in your brother and organic lesion of the brain shall always be ruled out as being responsible for the neurological symptoms. The other possibilities in your case include multiple sclerosis, cervical spondylosis which shall be properly investigated in consultation with your doctor as it is not possible to make a diagnosis online.MRI brain and MRI of the cervical spine can be useful in your case.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

Post A Reply
Must Read
Meningitis is contagious and can be life threatening. Get the basic facts on meningitis here....
What are the different types of meningitis and who do they affect? We answer this here....
Early signs and symptoms of meningitis can mimic the flu. Can you identify meningitis symptoms and know when to seek medical help?...