Dermoid cysts

my 3 month of baby has a bump on the back of his head. its not paining him. he is normal in playing , eating .i have to wait till monday for a doctor can u plz tell me wht is it? is there anything serious i need to worry or anything i need to be prepared for. how will it be cured? will there be a surgery or medicines can heal it. the bump is mobile and bigger like a lemon

Showing comment 1 to 15 from a total of 1 comments
Answered by:
Dr. Ana Aleksovska

Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know what the bump on your child's head which is mobile, painless and as big as lemon is.

During the intrauterine development in certain babies the bones fail to connect properly, apart from the three sutures that normally are not ossified, that ease the head of the baby to pass free through the vagina at childbirth. Sometimes a part from the meninges with or without part of the brain may pass through the holes between the bones (conditions called meningocele or meningoencephalocele). In this case, the lump is soft and mobile compared to the skin but fixated compared to the bones. There is another condition called dermoid cyst which is a harmless tumor that contains skin and skin derivatives. It is soft to the touch and mobile.

Given the data that you described, your baby might be experiencing a dermoid cyst. To rule out meningocele and meningoencephalocele an RTG of the head is required. Consult a plastic surgeon for further diagnosis. In both cases surgery is required.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact a pediatrician or other qualified healthcare provider such as a surgeon for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options

Post A Reply
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....