eHealthForum

Right side pain after appendectomy

03-11-2009

I'm 18 years old. 3 years ago I had my appendix removed. 4 weeks after the surgery, I started getting pain in my right side in the area where the appendix was. 3 years and multiple doctors later, the pain is worse than ever. It's not a matter of when I get it, it's when it's not as bad. I have it all the time. Severe stabbing and cramping pain. I can't go to school 3 out 5 days a week. It's unbearable. Vicodin, etc doesn't touch it. No painkillers do. One doctor now says scar tissue that's cramping my abdomen and told me to take fiber. A pain management doctor is treating me for nerve entrapment from the surgery. I had one shot in the nerve a month ago that took the pain away for 5 days. The next shot did nothing. Anyone else go through this?

Showing comment 1 to 5 from a total of 70 comments
03-11-2009

Have you had an x-ray since having your appendix removed?

06-30-2009

I've been dealing with a similar issue for the last 15 years! My pain comes and goes, but sometimes its fairly constant for months at a time (and then I can go a year without any pain). I had an appendectomy when I was 4 and believe this is the cause (at least in part) of my pain. Pain meds and nerve blocks don't provide significant relief. Insurance wouldn't approve a TENs UNIT, but that is something you may want to look into. At this point I may be having additional surgery to determine the cause/hopefully resolve the issue. Hardest part is getting the doctors to believe there is an issue. Honestly, it helps to know that I'm not the only one with this issue. Good luck & stay proactive on your treatment... don't take no for an answer, you know your body better than anyone else (even if they have an "M.D." after their name. Don't let it suck a way your college years like it did mine!!

07-17-2009

yea, I had my appendix out the day before new years. I get an occasional dull pain in the place where my appendix was. I am assuming that it is scar tissue. I had laroscopic surgery, so, maybe that is why my pain is a little more bearable. It is annoying though. I often feel pressure building where my appendix was. When I put pressure on it, I hear gurgling like there is a trapped pocket of air or stool that can't move. I dunno, I've had a bad experience with doctors over my appendix. I had chronic appendicitis. My appendix would build up pressure, giving me severe stomach aches for 10-15 hrs, then it would release the pressure making the stomach ache go away. I had a colonoscopy done and the doctor found nothing and suggested I take metamucil. Taking metamucil was the dumbest idea ever because it is basically a laxative and didn't help my stomach. It took 7 months of pain to get the diagnosis right........ As long as I can poop and breathe successfully, I'm not going to the doctor to spend a ton of money......

08-13-2009

I had my appendix and my ovary taken out about a year and a half ago. I still getting the dull or sharp intermintant pains in the lower right quadrant from time to time. I went back for a CT scan one year after the surgery and it came back clean and normal. I just figure it is most likely scar tissue that might get irritated and get inflammed from time to time. I notice when I eat more fruits and veggies the pain seems to lessen quite a bit or disappear altogether. (many fruits and veggies have anti inflammatory properties) I also notice if I eat alot of sugar or cheese or if I get constipated it will ache. Also if I have a heavey period it sometimes aches then as well. I hope this helps. My sister had her appendix taken out when she was a teen, and then in her twenties, she had soo much pain, she went in to the Dr and he found alot of scar tissue and had to remove it . She so far hasnt had any more trouble and she is almost 40 now. I hope this helps and good luck to all

04-30-2014

I had mine out 10 months ago and I am 28. It was not laparoscopic. I have never had pain like I did when the appendix was inflamed but I have had some occasional pain, somewhat dull pain. I find it is worse before a bm especially a larger one. I also have noticed a connection to my cycle. I do think it helps to gently massage the area. My doctor did not seem concerned when I told her. My theory is there is scar tissue and perhaps some stuff gets stuck. I hope it gets better with time and not worse!

Post A Comment